Besides SPF, how can you support your skin pre & post sun exposure? Read on for the best tips in natural skincare to optimize your routine.
How to Support Your Skin Pre-Sun
Sunblock prevents UV rays from penetrating the skin, but some do still get through. For what doesn't get blocked, antioxidants act like a 2nd line of defense. Antioxidants help neutralize free radical damage that not only leads to premature aging, but also skin cancer. Before going out into the sun, applying antioxidants topically will act like a second line of defense to your SPF.
How to Support Your Skin Post-Sun
Did you know that 50% of sun damage happens AFTER you leave the sun (and go in the shade or indoors)? The best natural skincare routine post-sun exposure will include fresh antioxidants to help fight the damage being done post-exposure. In addition to antioxidants, you want to incorporate products that help cool down the skin and reduce inflammation.
After a day in the sun, say YES to:
- antioxidants-rich ingredients
- cooling ingredients
- anti-inflammatory ingredients
After a day in the sun, say NO to:
- acids and enzymes
- stimulating/warming ingredients
- aggressive topicals that may cause mild inflammation
Keep reading for the best natural skincare routines to support your skin pre & post sun exposure.
Your Pre-Sun Natural Skincare Routine
- Cleanse: start with a gentle cleanse using the Vetiver Illuminating Oil Cleanser. To get the most out of your oil cleanser, follow these tips.
- Mist: load your skin with antioxidants and hydration using the Neroli Clarifying Complexion Mist. Antioxidant sources in this product come from green tea, aloe vera, and vitamin C.
- Moisturize: The Rose Nourishing Facial Oil is uncommonly high in antioxidants. Its sources come from passion fruit, rosehip, evening primrose, jojoba, pomegrante, elderberry, calendula, coq10, and vitamin E. If you have breakout prone skin, opt for the Sea Berry Balancing Facial Oil instead. This oil provides antioxidants from sea buckthorn, coq10, vitamin E, prickly pear, jojoba, pomegranate, green tea, evening primrose, elderberry, and grapeseed oil.
- Protect: finish with SPF! Don't forget to reapply if you're spending extended time in the sun.
Your Post-Sun Natural Skincare Routine
- Cleanse: remove SPF residue and daily buildup using the Vetiver Illuminating Oil Cleanser which also soothes & hydrates.
- Mist: spray Neroli Clarifying Complexion Mist that calms & soothes with ingredients like aloe & green tea
- Repair: apply Vitamin C Balm and give your skin a big sigh of relief. Loaded with anti-inflammatory & antioxidant-rich ingredients like coq10, vitamin E, sea berry, prickly pear, jojoba, calendula, pomegranate, pumpkin seed oil, evening primrose, elderberry, rosehip, and turmeric.
Shop Pre & Post Sun Natural Skincare
One study showed that applying sodium ascorbyl phosphate regularly throughout the day " quenched" free radicals. Neroli Mist is made with sodium ascorbyl phosphate (vitamin C)