Over the last few years Prickly Pear Seed Oil has made a quite name for itself in the natural beauty scene and for good reason! Prickly pear seed oil is definitely one of the most powerful oils available to be used on our skin. So what’s so special about this prickly ingredient?
The first thing that comes to mind is that prickly pear seed oil contains the most vitamin E and the highest percentage of unsaturated fatty acids (88%) of any beauty oil on the market. This makes it an extremely powerful oil for the skin and this is why it is one of our favorite oils to use for skincare. To make this precious oil, up to 60 lbs. of seeds (that's about half a ton of fruits) are required to yield about 34 oz of oil. This makes it one of the most expensive oils available in the beauty market!
Is it worth the investment? Below is a list of all the amazing properties of prickly pear seed oil, aka barberry fig oil. . .
- It contains 150% more Vitamin E than argan oil. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps repair and protect the skin against free radicals.
- It is rich in linoleic acid (on average about 60%!). This fatty acid is essential in stimulating healthy cell production and turnover but also makes this oil absorb quickly and deeply into the skin.
- It is rich in Omega 6 & 9 fatty acids which promote healthy, even toned skin and also protect from free radicals.
- It contains zinc and flavonoids which are anti-inflammatory
- It contains vitamin K which can stimulate new cell growth, brightens the complexion by reducing redness and hyper-pigmentation.
- hydrates, soothes and reduces inflammation that damages collagen